30 Firefox Keyboard Shortcuts

by Mike McEvoy on June 4, 2009

firefox-keyboard-shortcuts

Firefox is the second most popular web browser in the world and it continues to gain popularity and market share. With this rapid growth many users, especially new users, are not aware of the wide range of useful Firefox keyboard shortcuts available. These small combinations of keystrokes when used at the right time can be real productivity boosters. Here are 30 Firefox keyboard shortcuts to help simplify and speed up your daily browsing. Even Firefox veterans may find these useful.

Many of the shortcuts will be a combination of keystrokes. For example “Ctrl + C” means that you should hold down the Ctrl (control) key and press the letter “C”. Use the lowercase letters not uppercase, if using the shift key is need it will be indicated as “Shift”.

Also be sure to check out some other shortcut postsGmail – 45 Timesaving Keyboard Shortcuts35 Internet Explorer Keyboard Shortcuts, 70 Google Chrome Shortcuts, and 8 Easy, Often Forgotten, Windows Keyboard Shortcuts.

Page Navigation Shortcuts

These shortcuts allow you to navigate quickly around a web page, most with only a single keystroke.

• Spacebar — Page down one full screen at a time
  • Shift – Spacebar — Page up one full screen at a time
  • Down Arrow – Scroll down
  • Page Down — Page down one full screen at a time
  • Up Arrow –  Scroll Up
  • Page Up — Page up one full screen at a time
  • End – Go to the Bottom (end) of the page
  • Home – Go to the Top of page

Pages, Tabs and Bookmarks

These useful shortcuts help you quickly perform different common tasks within Firefox, manage Tabs and access bookmarks.

• F5 — Reload the current page
  • Ctrl + Shft + Tab — rotate back to the previous tab
  • Ctrl + 1-9 — Choose a number to jump to that specific tab
  • Ctrl + B — Open Bookmarks Column on Left
  • Ctrl + I — Close Bookmarks Column
  • Ctrl + D – Create a bookmark for the current page

Mouse Shortcuts

Here are six mouse-related shortcuts for when you already have your hand on the mouse. These shortcuts include the scroll wheel and utilize the clicking function (middle click) of the scroll wheel.

• Shift – scroll down – Go to the previous page
  • Shift – scroll up – Go to the next page
  • Ctrl – scroll up — Decrease the text size, zoom out
  • Ctrl – scroll down — Increase text size, zoom in
  • Middle click on link — Open the link in a new tab
  • Middle click on a tab — Close the tab

Keystroke shortcuts have been around for many years and Firefox takes useful browser shortcuts to a new level. It may take a little adjusting to get used to using shortcuts but once you do they’ll become second nature for speeding up your web browsing. Give some of these FireFox shortcuts a try and you’ll be amazed at how much they can speed up your browsing and enhance your productivity.

{ 34 comments }

cj June 5, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Cool shortcuts. Makes my browsing that much more interesting. My hand has been glued to the mouse and it’s hurting.

Mayur June 7, 2009 at 10:29 pm

There’s also a official list of Keyboard shortcuts by Firefox :D
See here: http://webtrickz.com/official-list-of-keyboard-shortcuts-for-mozilla-firefox/

spuffler June 14, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Mayur: that webtrickz link offers a link to http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Keyboard+shortcuts, so between here, webtrickz and the Mozilla site, readers are going to have to spend quite a bit of time comparing ALL the information that is offered.

venkat June 7, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Very useful keyboard shortcuts save lot of time and since these days everyone considering Firefox as their primary browser

Var June 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm

ctrl + 0 : zoom to default size
f6: same as ctrl + l

Rahul Jadhav June 15, 2009 at 7:27 am

Thanks for sharing the info. I didnt have any idea about these shortcuts

Govt employees news June 15, 2009 at 8:43 am

Very useful. Earlier i only know Ctrl + T, and Ctrl + N . Thanks for your tips. Now it will be more easy to use firefox.

Deki June 16, 2009 at 9:50 am

There are much more convenient left hand alternatives for some of this, e.g. Alt+D for Address bar and Ctrl+E for search box

kibeida June 17, 2009 at 5:50 am

Thanks ppl
iv been lookin for them for some time
regards

Sonal Maheshwari June 17, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Great shortcuts. With practice they save a lot of time with the keyboard. Although there are various key board shortcuts but this one comprehensive list.

Sonal Maheshwari
USourceIT

martin June 18, 2009 at 12:17 pm

- F6 go to addressbar
- F6 and then tab go to search field
- F6 and then twice tab selects current tab, now arrow left+right scoll through each tab

Rick Salas June 27, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Seems so much easier than with a mouse. With practice I think it will be much faster to complete any work I have. Thanks for the tips!

Michel July 31, 2009 at 8:12 am

Great list. I mostly use
ctrl+B for bolding text I’m typing
ctrl+F(fav keystroke shortcut for finding)

Ziva August 16, 2009 at 9:30 pm

My favorite is F11

JohnL August 31, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Very cool. very easy to read and digest with the clear layout. Got ths bookmarked for future referenced. thanks.

Travis September 6, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for heads up there. To be honest, I thought I knew most of the shortcuts on hand, yet there WERE a few up there unfamiliar to me.

Mony September 22, 2009 at 2:55 am

Hi MikeM,

I like to browse faster always. Though I know some of the Firefox shortcuts you have written like F5, CTRL-L. This is a very useful list.

Dan Cosgrove October 6, 2009 at 4:58 am

Awesome! The world needs more cheat sheets.This will definitely speed up my browsing.

David D Ochoa October 15, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Ctrl + F5 = Reload page from scratch!

When a regular F5 just doesn’t cut it.

sergio October 19, 2009 at 4:42 am

F3 also opens the find bar (ctrl+f).
F7 enables the caret browsing (to browse within the text) and disables the page navigation shortcuts.

Search Craigslist December 21, 2009 at 7:59 am

I’m the active user of keyboard shortcuts but mouse shortcuts was something new and really useful. Thanks for the post !

How to get six pack abs December 31, 2009 at 6:45 am

I tought Firefox was the first most popular browser.

I always try to use shourtcuts instead of mouse,even if you don’t realize, it saves you time in the long run.This is a good list of shortcuts,thanks.

emusic review January 7, 2010 at 9:58 am

Great post,I am trying to get used to shortcuts,it will take some time but I will get there

Desktop Wallpapers January 31, 2010 at 8:57 am

Wow! this is amazing. I have been using firefox for years now and I did not know most of these shortcuts! Thanks
.-= Desktop Wallpapers´s last blog ..Jennifer Lopez Sexy Wallpaper =-.

Toronto Movers February 17, 2010 at 11:46 am

That’s weird, Ctrl+E goes to the search box too. Strange that they would make 2 shortcuts for the same thing. I didn’t know about Ctrl + K but use E all the time. Thanks for these timesavers!
.-= Toronto Movers´s last blog ..Mississauga Movers =-.

Amal Roy April 30, 2010 at 1:49 am

Though i know most of them, i learned some new shortcuts too. Bookmarked the post. Thanks a lot bro.
.-= Amal Roy´s last blog ..Speed Up Wordpress – Ultimate Guide To Make Sites Super Fast =-.

Eren Mckay May 25, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Thanks so much for this information. Very useful for our day to day. Tweeted and facebooked this. Now I’m going to stumble it ;-)
All the best,
Eren
.-= Eren Mckay´s last blog ..Christian Poem for Mother’s Day =-.

Debbie Lattuga May 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Thank you so much. Been online for years and Firefox lover for the past 5, and most of these I wasn’t aware of.

Off to practice!
.-= Debbie Lattuga´s last blog ..Ebook Reader – Kindle, Facebook and Twitter =-.

Web Talk June 1, 2010 at 2:46 am

Great article. I already knew some of your shortcuts but your guide is really huge and very interesting! Gonna post some of your shortcuts on my blog. thanks
.-= Web Talk´s last blog ..How to Turn on the New Google Adsense Beta Interface =-.

Surfer Boi July 25, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Good article to refer to for shortcuts

thanks!

Mike McEvoy July 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm

@Surfer Boi — thanks for stopping by. Glad you found the Firefox shortcuts helpful. If you use Gmail be sure to check out my post: 45 Gmail Keyboard Shortcuts.
–Mike

Computer Tips 'n Tweaks December 12, 2010 at 2:23 am

Thanks for the shortcuts! I am using them a lot and i didn’t know some of them.

mahjong February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Can I simply say what a relief to find somebody who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know easy methods to deliver a problem to light and make it important. More individuals need to learn this and understand this facet of the story. I cant believe youre not more widespread since you undoubtedly have the gift.

Karan Lugani May 5, 2011 at 2:50 am

Hey very nice shortcuts. They will surely help me save my time in future . But the only problem remains memorizing them.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 3 trackbacks }