The Apple iPad tablet computer is here and as you might expect there are numerous points of view on the iPad’s arrival. This post includes 12 perspectives on the Apple iPad that cover a wide spectrum of opinion. Some perspectives are based on hands-on reviews while others look at the iPad’s features and tablet computing from a bigger picture perspective.
In addition to the reviews, observations, discussions and hype, the Apple iPad has also created a large number of questions. Now that the iPad is finally shipping, more answers, along with some new questions about tablet PCs are surfacing. Some of these initial questions include:
- Where does the iPad fit in the computing spectrum?
- Will the iPad spell the death of Netbook computers?
- Does the iPad replace a Smartphone?
- Does the iPad spell the demise of the Kindle and other eBook readers?
- Is the iPad a solution looking for a problem to solve?
- Is the iPad a laptop computer replacement?
- Will businesses use iPads or are they strictly a consumer-focused device?
- How will the iPad be better/different from tablet PCs running Windows 7?
- What are the potential downsides of owning an iPad?
- Will the iPad be a portable gaming machine?
- Will the iPad end up like Apple’s earlier handheld device, the Newton?
- Is the iPad priced competitively for the mass market?
To gain some insight on these and numerous other questions here are 12 articles from various corners of technology world. From the hands-on to the blue sky, from the electronics consumer to the geek, and several points in between.
- Apple iPad Review: Laptop Killer? Pretty Close – Walt Mossberg – AllThingsD
- Do We Need the iPad? A TIME Review – TIME Magazine
- How the Tablet Will Change the World – Wired Magazine
- Cost and Redundancy Issues Confront iPad – New York Times
- Apple iPad review – Engadget
- iPad Review – Slashdot.org
- Verdict is in on Apple iPad: It’s a winner – USATODAY
- First Look: Apple iPad – Washington Post
- Apple iPad Full Review – PC Magazine
- iPad SchmiPad: Who Needs Another Device? – ReadWriteWeb.com
- Analysts Ask if the iPad Can Live Up to Its Hype – New York Times
- Apples’ iPad is a touch of genius – Boing Boing
Regardless of your preferred computing platform or your level of interest in electronic gadgets the Apple iPad has made a sizable splash. Will Apple become the first company to actually make tablet computers a viable product after numerous other manufacturers have tried and failed? There will be much more to play out in this story over time. Depending on how the iPad and tablet computing evolve it will be interesting to look back a year from now and see if the computing world has changed due to the arrival of the iPad.