Pin Programs to the Windows XP & Vista Start Menu
The Start menu for both Windows XP & Vista can be customized for the specific programs you use most frequently. One of the main benefits of having programs on the main Start menu is that it requires only two clicks to launch. While most programs will be located somewhere within the different levels of the Start menu, pinning it directly to the main menu simplifies locating the program.
The left side of the Start menu is divided into two sections. The top section consists of menu items that remain in place or “pinned” to the Start menu. The bottom section consists of shortcuts to other programs you have recently used. These change over time as you launch different programs. All pinned programs appear on the left side of the Start Menu near the top of the list. If you currently search your Desktop for icons/shortcuts to launch programs, pinning programs to the Start menu can simply the launching process for you.
To pin a program to the Start Menu:
- Click on the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen and the Start menu will appear.
- Then click the All Programs item near the bottom of the Start Menu and a list of programs and submenus will appear.
- Locate the program you want to pin to the Start Menu, opening any sub-menus as necessary.
- Place your mouse cursor over the program and right-click the program icon. A list of options will now appear.
- Click on the “Pin to Start Menu” selection.
The program you selected will now appear near the top of the Start menu along with the other Start menu items. You can move the programs around on the list and change their order by putting your cursor on the program, left-clicking and holding down the left-click button. With the left-click button depressed you can then drag the item to a new location on the list.
Remove Programs from the Windows XP & Vista Start Menu
Programs can also be easily removed from the Start menu. If you find that you have added too many programs to the Start menu or perhaps just want to tidy up the list and remove some of the programs that are no longer use very often, you can do this in a few quick steps.
To remove a program from the Start menu:
- Click on the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen
- Then locate the program you want to remove from the Menu and put your mouse cursor over the program
- Right-click the program icon. The list of options will now appear
- Click on “Remove from This List” selection.
The program you selected will no longer appear on the Start Menu.
Other alternatives for quickly accessing the programs you use most often include placing program icons in the Quick Launch toolbar located in the Task Bar at the bottom of the Windows Desktop and placing a shortcut icon for a program on the Windows Desktop.